Edição: Janeiro, 2013
"Inspiring and powerful -- now this is a 'must read' for retailers! I could not put the book down....Passion Capital is today's business bible for success." - Diane J. Brisebois, president & CEO, Retail Council of Canada
Passion Capital is a revolutionary asset that will completely change your idea of how to build long-term success for your career, company, or cause.
Organizations that possess Passion Capital - Apple, Johnson & Johnson, Four Seasons Hotels, the Montreal Canadiens, among others - lead their sectors, while those that rely on established forms of capital may get stuck in neutral and fail to achieve their full potential.
Passion Capital presents seven principles for growing and investing in this new asset class and includes over fifty insightful stories drawn from business, not-for-profit, the arts sector, and politics. In this groundbreaking book, veteran business leader Paul Alofs ushers in a whole new way of thinking about the very definition of success and reveals how to acquire the world's most valuable asset and apply it to your career, company, or cause.
Sobre o autor
Paul Alofs is an award-winning innovator who has run the 500 North American Disney stores while based in Los Angeles as well as HMV Music Stores and BMG Music while based in Toronto. Since 2003, he has been the CEO of The Princess Margaret Hospital Foundation and has helped raise over $550 million for one of the world's top five cancer research centres. Paul has been named Innovative Retailer of the Year, Music Industry Executive of the Year, and was an inaugural inductee into the Marketing Hall of Legends. Passion Capital is his first book. The author lives in Toronto.
Paul Alofs deita por terra neste livro a ideia que muitos têm de que os grandes líderes já nascem com as competências necessárias para tal. Alofs demonstra como um grande líder se forma a partir do seu processo de desenvolvimento pessoal. Este prende com os seus erros e tem por base um conjunto sério de valores.
Entre muitos casos práticos, Paul Alofs conta-nos que um dia Soros lhe disse que “basicamente tenho sobrevivido devido a reconhecer os meus erros.”
Alofs entrou para o Canada’s Top 40 Under 40 business leaders em 1995 e conta uma larga experiência executiva, partilhando neste livro casos reais de empresas e líderes que venceram com base na sua passion capital, e outras que perderam, referindo o porquê de tal resultado.
Entre muitos conselhos que veicula, diz-nos que “O que [o líder] precisa é de contratar para o que virá e não para o que acabou de acontecer.”
Alofs apresenta neste Passion Capital sete premissas que estão na base do sucesso do líder da sua organização e que o levarão a tornar-se num grande líder: convicção, cultura, coragem, brand, recursos, estratégia e persistência.
Apresenta a seguinte fórmula: Passion Capital = Energia + Intensidade + Sustentabilidade.
Trata-se de um livro verdadeiramente inspirador e motivador muito focado na estratégia. Como Alofs nos diz, esta depende muito de três coisas, “conhecer-se a si mesmo, conhecer o seu inimigo e conhecer o mercado”.
- NAUTEL: One of the world’s largest manufacturers of AM and FM radio broadcast transmitters. Their passion capital has been demonstrated through their innovation in providing valuable new solutions for digital radio broadcasting and other applications, and long-term commitment to their customers.
- PETE’S: A leading specialty food retailer in Halifax which has created passion capital among its employees to offer their customers a friendly, upscale and superior shopping experience in the spirit of the old English market.
- GOODLIFE FITNESS: One of the world’s largest fitness companies that has instilled its passion for providing every Canadian with the opportunity to live a fit and healthy life into its people in innovative ways.
- KIDS AND CO.: A rapidly growing child-care company that seeks to use the passion of its employees to solve the child care dilemma by providing children with a mix of highly creative, effective and reliable child-care services.
- OMERS: One of Canada’s largest pension funds that has created passion capital by investing in and developing a high-quality team of investment professionals and inspiring them to deliver on their Pension Promise.
- RYERSON UNIVERSITY: Canada’s leader in career-focused education that possesses passionate and culturally diverse staff and students, with a focus on innovation and entrepreneurship.
- SHOPPERS DRUG MART: One of the largest most recognized and trusted names in Canadian retailing that has created passion capital by inspiring their employees to improve their customer’s health and wellbeing.
- BANQUE LAURENTIENNE DU CANADA (LAURENTIAN BANK OF CANADA): A leading financial services company, which has created passion capital by focusing exclusively on serving the needs of the Quebec marketplace.
- ORCHESTRE SYMPHONIQUE DE MONTRÉAL (MONTREAL SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA): A world renowned cultural institution that is passionate about bringing classical music to the masses.
- CALGARY STAMPEDE: A world renowned Not-for-Profit organization that is deeply passionate about preserving and promoting western heritage and values.